2-in-1 Carbon Monoxide and Natural Gas Smart Alarm (Plug-In)
The Universal Security Instruments Electric MCND401 Plug-In Carbon Monoxide and Natural Gas Smart Alarm is a 2-in-1 device that provides double the protection with a single installation. This dual-sensing alarm protects against carbon monoxide and natural gas. Although rare, a build-up of either of these gases in your home can be dangerous and potentially fatal. With a compact design, intelligent microprocessor to eliminate nuisance alarms and informative digital display screen, this "smart" alarm can help put your mind at ease.
Carbon Monoxide and Natural Gas
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and odorless poisonous gas, produced when an inadequate supply of air causes the faulty burning of a fuel like oil, coal, kerosene, gas or wood.
Potential sources of CO in the home:
- Fuel-burning appliances such as heaters, gas or wood burning fireplaces, gas kitchen ranges or cooktops, gas clothes dryers.
- Damaged or insufficient venting such as corroded or disconnected water heaters, vent pipes and improperly functioning chimneys.
- Operating a generator, barbecue grill or vehicle in an enclosed area (such as a garage or enclosed porch).
Natural gas is colorless, odorless and tasteless. Mercaptan (a chemical that smells like sulfur/rotten eggs) is often added to give natural gas a distinct unpleasant odor that serves as a safety measure to help detect leaks. Remember to have your natural gas appliances and pipelines inspected regularly.
Compact Plug-in Design
The compact plug-in design covers only 1 outlet for a fast and easy installation with no wiring required.
The battery back-up continues protection in the event of a power outage. 9-volt alkaline battery is included.
Digital Display Screen
This easy-to-read screen comes with three LED colors indicating power, CO and natural gas. Provides carbon monoxide PPM (parts per million) levels and displays 'GAS' during an occurrence.
Fast and Easy Installation
No wiring required! Just plug-in and go. After plugging the unit into a wall outlet with 120 VAC, the green power LED should be on and blink off approx. every 20 seconds.
Turn off nuisance alarms with a single touch of a button. And, when it's time to replace the battery (approximately 7 years from activation), the end-of-service warning will sound.
Perfect for new or replacement installations, the 120-volt AC alarm is suitable for houses, apartments and mobile homes.
Single Installation. Double Protection.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm where it's possible to hear the alarm from all sleeping areas, like in or near bedrooms and living room areas. You should install the detector wherever you suspect methane of Natural Gas exposure is likely.
- Place additional carbon monoxide alarms at least 15-20 feet away from the furnace, fuel-burning heat sources or gas burning heat sources and appliances, like gas cookers, fireplaces and water heaters.
- Install a minimum of 10 feet away from sources of humidity like bathrooms and showers.
- For multiple-story dwellings, install one carbon monoxide alarm on every level.
- If you have a basement, install a carbon monoxide alarm at the top of the basement stairs.
- The gas detector should be installed above the level of a possible gas escape and near the ceiling, typically 30 cm from it, in a place where air movements are not impeded by furniture and furnishings.
- Do not install carbon monoxide alarms in garages, kitchens or furnace rooms. Installation in these areas could lead to nuisance alarms, may expose the sensor to substances which could damage or contaminate it, or the alarm may not be heard by people in other areas of the home, especially if they are sleeping.
- Keep alarms at least 20 feet (6m) from the sources or combustion particles (stove, furnace, water heater, space heater). Unwanted alarms can occur if an alarm is placed directly next to a fuel-burning source. Ventilate these areas as much as possible. If you must install the alarm near a cooking or heating appliance, install at least 5 feet (1.5m) from the appliance.
- Do not install in any extremely dusty, dirty, humid or greasy areas.
- Do not install alarms in direct sunlight, or areas subjected to temperature extremes (crawl spaces, unfinished attics, poorly insulated ceilings and porches).
- Alarm should not be installed in outlets covered by curtains, heavy furniture or other obstructions.
- Do not install in turbulent air—near ceiling fans, heat vents, air conditioners, fresh air returns or open windows. Blowing air may prevent carbon monoxide from reaching the CO sensors.
Solid state, Metal Oxide
120 volt AC 60 Hz (Plug-In & Battery backup)
85 dB at 10 feet
0º F to 120º F (-18º C to 48º C)
10% to 95% RH
4.38˝ x 1.55˝ x 2.50˝
|Warranty||5-year Limited Warranty|
ISO 9001 certified factory
For more information, contact our customer support team.